Meet Clare, the reflexology guru with a passion for women's wellness. She's here to spill the beans on how reflexology can be your secret weapon during pregnancy, helping you navigate the challenges and transformations that come with this magical journey. Here she gives some advice on different areas of your feet that you can gently massage yourself in order to support you through your pregnancy journey. You can also find some of these points on the hands, making them more accessible
The Basics of Reflexology for Pregnancy
Reflexology is like a gentle whisper of care to your body. It's based on the idea that your feet are like an intricate map of your entire being, with each structure, organ, and gland having its own reflex point on your feet. By stimulating these reflexes, you're essentially encouraging your body to achieve "homeostasis," a fancy word for balance. And guess what? Reflexology and pregnancy are like a match made in heaven, backed by heaps of research!
Stress Reduction and Hormonal Harmony
Pregnancy often comes with its fair share of stress and anxiety, but reflexology is your Zen oasis. It helps balance those hormones, dial down the stress levels, and work its magic on common pregnancy issues like fatigue, back pain, restless nights, and that ever-so-present anxiety. But here's the best bit: it's been shown to reduce labour time too. Yes, you heard that right!
Weeks 14 - 36: Blissful Relaxation
During this beautiful phase of your pregnancy, reflexology becomes your relaxation buddy. Clare's got a list of reflexes she works on during maternity reflexology to ease the common pregnancy challenges:
- Pituitary gland: For hormonal balance.
- Pineal gland: Sweet dreams are made here.
- Diaphragm: Say goodbye to fatigue and shortness of breath.
- Solar plexus: The calming effect on your nervous system.
- Stomach: Keeping acid reflux and nausea at bay.
- Ascending colon: Bye-bye, constipation or sluggish digestion.
- Descending colon: More constipation relief.
- Adrenals: Stress and anxiety warriors, inflammation fighters, and fluid balance maintainers.
- Entire spine: Your soothing companion for backaches.
- Lymphatics: Aiding against fluid retention.
- Kidney 1 acupressure point: This one's for the mind-body connection and anxiety relief.
Weeks 37 Onward: Preparing for the Grand Entrance
As you approach the big day, reflexology takes on a new role: preparing your body physically and psychologically and keeping those hormones in check. Remember, reflexology doesn't induce labor but helps your body get primed and ready for it. These reflexes are equally fabulous during labor:
- Pituitary gland: Hello, oxytocin!
- Pineal gland: The key to a good night's sleep.
- Diaphragm: Say adieu to fatigue and shortness of breath.
- Solar plexus: The calming touch for your nervous system.
- Uterus: Support for your uterus.
- Ovaries: Balancing those hormones.
- Adrenals: Stress and anxiety relief, inflammation reduction, and fluid balance.
- Entire spine: Soothing your central nervous system and tackling those backaches.
- Spleen 6 acupressure point: A gentle nudge towards uterine contractions (but remember, your baby comes when they're ready).
- Kidney 1: Keeping your mind-body connection strong and anxiety at bay.
A Little TLC from Your Partner or Friend
Why not get your partner or a friend involved in this soothing ritual? With soft lighting, calming music, and a comfy space, you can create the perfect atmosphere for reflexology. Start with a gentle cream or balm massage on your feet and lower legs. Don't worry about shaving your legs; the effect of the hair being gently massaged actually supports oxytocin production—just like we naturally stroke our babies' soft skin.
There you have it, the insider scoop on how reflexology can be your pregnancy ally, supporting you from start to finish. Thanks to Clare's wisdom, you're now armed with the knowledge of those magical reflex points that can make your journey into motherhood all the more blissful.
If you would like to book a professional Reflexology treatment please fine her on Instagram www.instagram.com/clarewhitereflexology.